Hodag Love

Friday, May 04, 2007

MEMOIRS OF A CUT BOY

As Told By: SEBBY

So when I was on CUT, we were the kindler, gentler, but still socially awkward team. By which I mean that we didn't hang out with any other team and/or care to do so. For the most part all I remember about the Hodags is the mass of baby blue running after me. Although I do have two specific stories that may be interesting.

Firstoff, at the Kansas Fools Fest in 1998 and the very first Ultimate tournament I had ever played in, I was guarding Ben Jammin for onepoint. He made a dump cut and caught the throw, even though I laid out and missed the bid. And then for the next 7-8 seconds he just held the frisbee in front of my face and talked shit as I was getting up and stalling him, not even glancing upfield. Then he threw (and I think completed) a stall 9 hammer. So you might say that he was the reason I always liked beating Madison.

Second, and I think this was Sectionals in 1998 at St. Olaf. Madison was playing and destroying CUT B, but we were on the sideline watching. On one point, the Hodags pulled and sent Opie screaming down for the mark of a 1-3-3. Al Licup caught the first throw off the pull, and then threw up a big forehand fake right as Opie sprinted up to mark him. As Al faked, Opie threw out a leg to try and footblock him while still moving forward. After the fake, Al pivoted over to throw a backhand, and as he did so he caught Opie square in his junk with the disc on the way across and then completed the throw. I've never seen a man crumple as fast as Opie did that day, and he remained in the fetal position for a good 10 minutes before moving.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Sebby, these are excellent memories. What you kindly neglect to mention is how very, very badly CUT beat the shit out of the Hodags during your time there. I think you lost either once or never to the Hodags. And Sebby always killed us. We would spend a lot time "preparing" for Nord and/or Kaiser and then leave someone like Franz on Sebby and it was just ugly. Nate wasn't quite as good with his ass back then.


    That club sectionals was my first tournament as a college player. The established UW college players (Jammin, Charlie, etc.) played with the club team that fall, so we formed a collection of freshmen and MUFA all-stars that included people I hadn’t really met like Wei, Matt Anderson, Pankratz, Ren, etc. and was “coached” by Jake Spiro. On the way to the tournament, I brought some cereal but needed some milk, so when we stopped at Pankratz’s then girlfriend’s house I demanded milk, despite barely knowing his name. After receiving the milk, I proceeded to (errantly) tell him that he was ineligible for college play and would never be on the Hodags. What a nice guy I am.


    Anyway, I could have sworn that my nuts got pounded against CUT, not CUT B, but that may be wrong. In any case, we could check because the Carleton newspaper covered the tournament and included a quote from Alex Nord saying something like “Ouch, that must really smart” as a pull-quote. We definitely played CUT, and lost 15-1. Only score? Ollie Molvig to myself. First in a long line of losses to CUT.

    By Blogger opie, at 11:42 AM  

  • here is a recap of sebby's only loss to the hodags (as told by timmy on rsd):

    Wisconsin over CUT. I am not sure the final (something like 12-10, 12-11, 13-11). I saw the final play which saw a bomb to a CUT player, but a Wisconsin defender out of no where to get a huge lay up block. Wisconsin then walked it in for the game winner. Solid.

    that wisconsin defender was me. bite me opie.

    By Blogger supertaster, at 11:48 AM  

  • Hmmm. Where did you find these so-called facts? Because as I recall, I never lost to Madison. I only played 3 years (98, 99, 00), and maybe that was from a different game..?

    By Blogger Sebby, at 8:05 PM  

  • You only played 3 years? I think our one victory over CUT was 01 at Terminus.

    By Blogger BrussSucks, at 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home